Ramanathan V. Guha
guha @ guha.com
- Stanford, '91 PhD (Computer Science)
- UC Berkeley, '87 MS (Mechanical Engineering)
- IIT Madras, '86 BTech (Mechanical Engineering)
- May 2005 to present: Google Fellow. Created a number of widely used products, including Custom Search, Search based keyword tool and
SMS Channels. Founded Schema.org, an industry consortium that creates vocabularies for structured data markup on the web. In use by over 8.5m sites.
- April 2002 to April 2005: Research Staff Member, IBM Almaden Theory group.
- September 2000 to January
2002: Co-Founder of Alpiri. Built TAP,
a system for large scale data integration and its use in search. TAP was eventually absorbed as a research project
by the Knowledge Systems Lab at Stanford.
- May 1999 to May 2000: Cofounder,
CTO and head of engineering, Epinions,
a web site where consumers write reviews on products and services. I
architected and built the site. Responsible for the core
concepts behind Epinions, such as the Web of Trust, an
adaptation of PGP like Web of Trust concepts to content ranking &
search and Eroyalties, a mechanism for micropayments.
- April 97 to April 99: Principal Engineer,
Netscape Communications. Created
RSS, RDF (with the W3C).
I also helped create some interesting browser features such as the embedding of server side functionality into
the browser and the predecessor to XUL.
- June 95 to April 97: Principal
Scientist, Apple Computer. I developed the Meta Content Framework (MCF)
and the FlyThru system for the visualization for extremely large hierarchies.
- May 87 to December 94: Co-leader
of the Cyc Project, Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp. I was
responsible for the design and implementation of key parts of the Cyc
system, including, CycL, the representation language used by Cyc, the top
layers of the Cyc KB and the Cyc Natural Language understanding system.
Courses Taught: Building Large Knowledge-based Systems : Spring Quarters
of 1988, 1990, 1992 and 1994 at Stanford University in the Computer Science
department and in the winter semester of 1990 at the UT Austin.
Patents: Approx 40 granted patents
- Book :
Building Large Knowledge Based Systems: Representation and Inference in the Cyc Project, D.Lenat and R.V.Guha, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
- Standards Related Publications:
- RDF Site Summary (RSS) 0.9, 4/99 and 1.0, 6/2000, Dan
Brickley, Rael Dornfest, R.V.Guha, et. al. RSS is the most widely used content
syndication format on the web.
- RDF Schema Specification, W3C Recommendation, 3/2000, Daniel Brickley, R.V.Guha (editors)
- Meta Content Framework Using XML, 6/97, W3C Technical Note, R.V.Guha, Tim Bray
- Conference, Symposium and Journal Papers
- Towards a Model Theory of Distributed Representations. R. Guha,
AAAI Spring Symposium, 2015
- User Modeling for a Personal Assistant. R. Guha, V. Gupta,
V. Raghunathan, R. Srikant, WSDM 2015
- Correlating Entities. R. Guha. Automated Construction of
Knowledge Bases, NIPS 2014
- A First Order Theory of Contexts. S. Makarios, R. Guha. Intl. Conference on Contexts, 2005
- Unweaving a Web of Documents. R. Guha, R. Kumar, R. Sivakumar KDD 2005
- Predictive Power of Online Chatter. D. Gruhl, R. Guha, R. Kumar, J. Novack, A. Tomkins. KDD 2005
- Open Rating Systems: R. Guha. 1st Workshop on Friend of a Friend, Social Networking and the Semantic Web, 2004
- Information Propagation in Blogspace: D. Gruhl, R. Guha, D. Liben-Nowell, A. Tomkins. WWW 2004
- Propagation of Trust and Distrust: R.V.Guha, Ravi Kumar, P. Raghavan, A. Tomkins. WWW 2004
- Object Co-identification, R.V.Guha. AAAI Spring Symposium on Semantic Web Services, 2004
- TAP: A Semantic Web Toolkit, R.V.Guha and Rob McCool. Semantic Web Journal, Oct. 2003
- TAP: A Semantic Web Platform, R.V.Guha and Rob McCool. Journal of Network Computing, Sept. 2003
- Varieties of Contexts, R.V.Guha, John McCarthy, Fourth International
Conference on Contexts, June 2003
- Semantic Search, R.V.Guha, Rob McCool and Eric Miller, WWW2003
- SemTag and Seeker, Bootstrapping the Semantic Web, with Andrew Tomkins,
Sridhar Rajagopal, et. al. WWW2003
- Use of Contexts in Cyc, R.V.Guha, 8/95, AAAI Fall
- Stongly Semantic Information Retrieval, R.V.Guha and D.Lenat, 7/94,
Presented at the AAAI-94 Semantic Indexing workshop.
- Enabling Agents to Work Together, R.V.Guha and D.Lenat,
6/94, Communications of the ACM, Vol.37, No.7, 1994.
- Language, Representation and Contexts, R.V.Guha and
D.Lenat, Journal of Information Processing, Vol.15, No.3, 1993.
- CycLing Paper Reviews, Ramanathan V. Guha, Douglas B. Lenat,
Artificial Intelligence 61(1): 149-174 (1993)
- The Evolution of CycL, The Cyc Representation Language, Douglas B. Lenat, Ramanathan V. Guha,
SIGART Bulletin 2(3): 84-87 (1991)
- Contexts: a formalization and some applications,
R.V.Guha, 12/91, Stanford University PhD thesis report.
- The World According to Cyc, Part 4, D.Lenat, R.V.Guha,
D.Pratt, K.Pittman, W. Pratt, and K.Goolsbey, 3/91. A set of four papers at the
AAAI Spring Symposium '91.
- Cyc: A Mid-Term Report, R.V.Guha and D.Lenat, AI
Magazine, Vol 11, No. 3, Fall 1990.
- Cyc: Towards Programs with Common Sense, D.Lenat,
R.V.Guha, K.Pittman, D.Pratt and M. Shepherd, Communications of the ACM,
Vol.33, No.8, August 1990.
- The Representation of Defaults in Cyc, R.V.Guha, 2/90,
Proceedings of AAAI-90.
- Technical Reports
- Open Rating Systems: R.V.Guha, Stanford KSL Technical Report (http://tap.stanford.edu/papers/wot.pdf)
- Meta Content Framework : A White Paper. R.V.Guha, Apple
Technical Report. #168
- Meta Content Framework Specification. R.V.Guha, Apple
Technical Report. #167
- Towards a Theory of Meta Content. R.V.Guha, Apple
Technical Report. #169.
- Context Dependence of Representations in Cyc, R.V.Guha,
8/93, MCC technical report number CYC 066-93.
- Microtheories: An Ontological Engineer's Guide,
P.Blair, R.V.Guha, and W.Pratt, 3/92, MCC technical report number CYC-050-92
- Ideas for Applying Cyc, D.Lenat and R.V.Guha, 12/91,
MCC technical report number ACT-CYC-408-91.
- Comparing Cyc to Other AI Systems, R.V.Guha and
D.Lenat, 12/91, ACT-CYC-408-91.
- Representing Information Bearing Things in Cyc,
R.V.Guha and K.Pittman, 1/91 MCC technical report number ACT-CYC-022-91.
- Micro-theories and Contexts in Cyc Part I: Basic
Issues, R.V.Guha, 12/90, MCC technical report number ACT-CYC-300-90.
- The CycL Representation Language - Part 4, R.V.Guha and
D.Lenat, 6/90, MCC technical report number ACT-CYC-129-90.
- A Functional Interface for Cyc , D.Pratt and R.V.Guha,
3/90, MCC technical report number ACT-CYC-089-90-P.
- A Relevance Based Meta Level, R.V.Guha and A.Levy,
2/90,MCC technical report number ACT-CYC-040-90.
- The World According to Cyc, Part 3, R.V. Guha and
D.Lenat, 12/89, MCC technical report number ACT-AI-455-89.
- CycL: The Cyc Representation Language Part 3, R.V.Guha
and D.Lenat, 12/89, MCC technical report number ACT-AI-454-89.
- The World According to Cyc, Part 2: Agenthood,
Institutions, and Agreements, R.V.Guha and D.Lenat, 12/89, MCC technical report
- CycLing: Inferencing in Cyc, R.V.Guha and D.Lenat,
9/88, MCC technical report number ACA-AI-303-88.
- The CycL Representation Language, D.Lenat, R.V.Guha,
and D.V.Wallace, 9/88, MCC technical report number ACA-AI-302-88.
- The World According to Cyc, D.Lenat and R.V.Guha, 9/88,
MCC technical report number ACA-AI-300-88.